Friday, July 17, 2009

Walking Down College Avenue, Berkeley

Small things in life are always surprisingly and astonishingly beautiful.

As I walked up College Avenue in Berkeley back to Unit One (where I'm living), I was encouraged by the simplicity of life: an African American teenager of perhaps fourteen on a stunt bike cheering on a younger white kid who was trying to do some tricks on his bike. A jogger in loose fitting cotton pants stopping at the light and breathing heavily. A student (I assume from Berkeley) dressed in a crimson shirt (go Stanford!) standing by another light asking for donations for the children's hospital (I gave him a dollar). A young Asian mother walking with her (I assume) son down the street chatting about which restaurant they will visit this evening. A cafe with bags of coffee beans as pillows, and college-aged students studiously pounding away at their keyboards. A homeless man pulling a cart full of little scraps of luggage, newspaper, and bottles. A middle-aged man strolling along only to stop momentarily by the field to comment on the "good swing" of the teenagers playing. A seemingly mismatched couple--a surprisingly wide white woman with a surprisingly skinny Hispanic man--holding hands, smiling sweetly, and sauntering/lumbering (honestly no other word!) down the street.

Even within a ten minute walk down a street, all these little tidbits about human beings living their life reminds me that my own life is a tiny fiber in a very big tapestry of life. And that's both a call to action as well as a call of encouragement.