I'm sitting in DFW typing up emails to update friends and family on my trip to Belize, but that's given me precious little time to reflect upon my time of reflection at the Catalina retreat (sponsored by IVCF).
In summary, the week has simultaneously been restful and challenging. After a year of grueling academics, having this time to unwind on the beach, meditate, go kayaking, swim, hike, and have fantastic conversations with people has been refreshing. Going through the latter half of the Gospel of Mark and realizing a) how little I know b) how prideful I am and c) how little I prioritize the things that actually matter has been challenging.
The island faces toward the Los Angeles shore, and in the mornings, it is shrouded in sea mist. A desert island, sparse shubbery dots the hillside mixed in with the intermittent tree. The summer solstice this year also coincides with a (almost) full moon, and we were able to delight in both.
Overall, I'm surprised how intense a week can be when college students are thrown together and told to learn from each other as well as God. The wealth of experiences which are brought to the table (in this case, the seminar room) fosters a profound sense of humility.
In any case, I need to grab an hour or two of sleep before the flight; I'm preparing for the flight up to Belize, and I'll write more about that when I can.
--James
No comments:
Post a Comment