The all-too-familiar feeling of leaving a group of people that I've nurtured, invested, committed, and worked with for an extended period of time strikes again. The longer I work in this field, the more I'm understanding the nuances of that emotion, and how it affects my work (and how to best channel this energy to facilitating growth in my students/mentees).
But I want to focus on my thanks to all the parents in this world, who must feel this sense of loss most tangibly when their children leave for their own lives. Just in the course of a few days, I've developed an intuitive sense for each and every individual in my group. How much more so a parent who is willing to invest literally hundreds of thousands of hours on one person. I can't imagine how much more accenutated this feeling must be. My taste of empty nest syndrome isn't altogether a sweet one, and I can't imagine the thought of letting a son or daughter go.
And, as always, continuing my work in the field of education reminds me all the more to be thankful for my own mentors and guides: my parents, brother, friends, teachers, and most signficantly, God.
More on the conference as I have a day or two to recuperate!
2 comments:
hmm. thanks for this post.
It is so furtunate to be your parents
Post a Comment