Monday, March 30, 2009

Anna Karenina

In what seems to be a huge splurge in blogging, I can't help but write a little about Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, even though I've yet to plow through the rest of this gargantuan work.

I can't help sharing my admiration for his almost fearsome understanding of human psychology. I can't speak for his understanding of the female psyche, but I see fragmented reflections of myself when I read about Levin and Aleksey Aleksandrovich that leave tingles on my spine. Levin especially delights me as a character, frustrated with his own shyness and social awkwardness but noble, resilient, and tender.

I hope my words don't hold any more portent than simply highlighting minor similarities in characteristics, given that at this moment, Aleksey's wife Anna is in an adulterous relationship and he drowns himself in work to avoid dealing with it... and Levin renounces marriage. Hm. I suppose I could be a happy bachelor, but even Vronsky is really what started the mess... and is a romantic mess himself.

Psh. Good night, world.

No comments: