My mother has a a plastic plate that I colored in preschool displayed alongside fancy plates and mementos. It's quite ugly. There are two stick figures, one green and one blue. Their faces are formed by an unconnected, squiggly line that attempts to form an oval. Their hair consists of five lines each, radiating from this lopsided oval, leaving their heads looking more like ameoba with long flagella. This plate is one of the only objects that shows I attended preschool in America.
But it reminded me that there were other witnesses. The courtyard outside the Nanking Massacre Victims' Memorial reminds me of a sci-fi temple. Rubble cracks beneath my sneakers as I accidentally slip off the stone walkway. The obnoxious sun and humid air are strangling. Bullet holes further disfigure the ragged concrete walls. Near the center of the courtyard is an enormous silver bell. It's called the bell of peace but seems more like one you hear tolling in a graveyard, as the whole place is seething with oppression.
The exhibits are a little distasteful and overtly political. One wonders why Japanese translations are written alongside the English and Chinese. Photographs are chosen to overwhelm you with emotional and gory images, with questionable captions that ring of "heartless Japanese" and "comrades." My friend called me over, and the nearby guard questioned me about whether "一场浩劫" could be a part of "文明史" (whether a massacre could be a part of civilized history). "Obviously not," he said, "because civilized history is good." Apparently one of the guests had informed the guard that their description was incorrect, and the museum curator decided to change the words the next day.
But soon, one begins to realize that there are few tasteful ways to talk about the massacre. When more credible first-hand accounts like journals, letters, orders, interviews with Japanese soldiers, and Japanese newspapers at the time begin to confirm the horrors, I begin to understand what Conrad and Golding meant. The atrocities testify to the darkness in human nature, a bestial survival instinct that weathers away--when given a chance--any socially-cultured 'civility.' Of course, I don't discount the heros like Magee and Rabe (ironically, the former an American pastor who collaborated with the latter, a German Nazi businessman) who certainly defied the times. And I'm not saying the "Japanese" deserve the title of bestial. Rather, when governments fail and humans are left on their own, we're all prone to wade deep into the murky river and discover our "heart of darkness."
But enough on this.
They say history is boring. I must disagree.
No comments:
Post a Comment